Carcassonne Agglo Urban area selects SUEZ to manage some of its water and wastewater treatment contracts
Carcassonne Agglo urban area has jurisdiction for collective drinking water and wastewater treatment services in its 82 municipalities. Following consultation with the mayors of these municipalities, councillors made a unanimous decision to adopt two modes of management from 1st January 2018. The 34 municipalities1 located in the west of the region will be under a public service delegation contract, run by SUEZ, while the eastern part of the region will be managed directly by the urban community, through a public company.
The new contract covers many important issues such as protecting water as a resource, securing supply, innovation, prices and involving all stakeholders in the region’s energy transition.
Protecting and developing the resource :
- Improving existing infrastructure to improve efficiency;
- Securing the resource through optimum production capacity;
- Introducing tighter controls to guarantee water quality and protect waterways.
Securing supply, particularly in Carcassonne :
- Providing an extra million cubic metres;
- Implementing secure distribution (improved storage).
Innovation as a necessity :
- Improving service for inhabitants by using digital technology to provide better access to information and alerts in the case of leaks or over-expenditure;
- Creating an applied mapping laboratory;
- Implementing smart leak detection systems: communicative meters and latest generation acoustic sensors.
On this point, Régis Banquet, President of Carcassonne Agglo urban area said, “By 2026, 80% of customers will have a smart water meter. We are building a new way of life.”
Reducing prices :
- Gradually bringing all water rates in line, with an overall reduction of more than 20% across the whole region.
SUEZ will also support Carcassonne Agglo urban area in its energy transition by providing a biogas plant to produce green energy, a hydrogen production station to supply the electric cars driven by SUEZ operators, photovoltaic panels on SUEZ facilities and a positive energy wastewater treatment service.
1Located in the Aude department, France
2Carcassonne, Trèbes, Capendu, Rouffiac d'Aude, Cavanac, Cazilhac, Palaja, Leuc, Verzeille, Villedubert, Saint-Martin le Veil, Montolieu, Aragon, Moussoulens, Pezens, Saint-Eulalie, Villesequelande, Pennautier, Caux et Sauzens, Arzens, Alairac, Lavalette, Roullens, Preixan, Montclar, Alzonne, Couffoulens, Ventenac Cabardes, Villegailhenc, Raissac sur Lampy, Conques sur Orbiel, Barbaira, Villegly, Floure