Modeling of traffic flows and emissions
At SUEZ we use microscopic-scale mobility flow models. One of them is SUMO (Simulation of Urban MObility), an open source traffic simulation package.
We simulate intermodal traffic including pedestrians
SUMO (Simulation of Urban MObility) model is an open source, highly portable, microscopic and continuous traffic simulation package designed to handle large networks (https://www.eclipse.org/sumo/).
It allows the simulation of intermodal traffic including pedestrians. Although it is a model with a microscopic approach, it also has a module that allows creating scenarios with a mesoscopic approach.
Its characteristics include the great versatility to create scenarios from known traffic data, in addition, it also allows importing scenarios from other traffic simulation models.
SUMO is not only a traffic simulation model, but also includes a set of tools that facilitate the construction of the scenarios since, for modeling, at least a road network and a traffic demand are required.
What are the uses of our services in urban or industrial mobility modeling?
The first and most important, the study of emissions to the atmosphere in all the roads of the road network. But it also allows us to study scenarios of great interest, such as:
- The study of the temporary pedestrianization of streets, e.g.: The most basic example may be the pedestrianization of a street at certain times of the day.
- Effects studies: How does it affect traffic flows if a street is cut? E.g.: to study the affectation of a work. It could be determined in which time slots it would be more feasible to make the cut.
- Study for the implementation of an “eco” lane (electric only, hybrids…).
- Using smart traffic lights: Could you configure traffic lights differently based on time of day and traffic to improve flow?
- Determination of the impact of traffic due to certain events, for example, sport events, concerts, Christmas shopping ...
If you need this type of services related to the modeling of traffic flows and mobility, contact us.