World water day: Some tips to save water and consume without polluting the resources
Small actions can save a lot of water
Choosing to take a shower instead of a bath, filling the washing machine completely, turning off the water when brushing your teeth are all simple and effective ways to reduce your consumption.
There is also unexpensive equipment that allows you to reduce your water consumption:
Reduce consumption at the tap: Use a foamer or an aerator
The flow rate of a faucet is about 12 liters per minute, and it is 16 liters per minute for a showerhead. These very high flow rates can be reduced simply and inexpensively with a foamer or aerator. By placing one of these devices on your faucet, you can reduce your water consumption by half.
"Water-saving" fittings, or flow reducers: attached to the shower or bathtub faucet, a seal and air system regulates the volume of water while maintaining its pressure. The comfort under the shower remains the same while the water consumption is reduced by half.
"The "Shower Stop" or "50%" is a system that is placed between the hose and the shower head. It allows you to turn off the faucet while showering, when applying shampoo for example, while maintaining the water at the initial temperature and flow rate when you need water again. No more wasting water to find the right temperature!
Leaks cause water loss that can represent up to 20% of your consumption!
To remedy this, you can equip yourself with modern hoses, for which manufacturers use more resistant, anti-twist materials that increase their duration. Also remember to check their condition regularly.
In the garden
Water your garden or vegetable garden at the end of the day, collect rainwater or avoid spraying water. Here are some simple gestures to save water in the garden.
Watering at nightfall = more water savings
Favour drip irrigation for watering and save liters of water
Hoe the soil to facilitate its irrigation
Recover rainwater and cooking water and save water from the tap
- Automatic watering programmer: connected directly to your outdoor faucet, it optimizes the watering of your garden. Only the necessary amount of water will be used, and you choose the watering time. Moreover, when coupled with an electronic rain gauge, watering will not be triggered if the ground is already wet.
- Mulching: on bare soil, water evaporates faster, especially if your plants are exposed to full sun. To avoid this, cover the base of your plants with straw. The water will be better absorbed, and you will be able to space your watering.
Consuming water without polluting
Our daily behaviors have consequences on the quality of the wastewater we discharge and its treatment. A few good habits help avoid polluting the water networks and contribute to the respect of the environment.
Adopt some "anti-pollutions" gestures :
For the house
- Throw away wipes and small waste in the garbage
- Take your cooking oil and toxic or polluting products (paint, white spirit...) to the waste disposal center
- Never throw frying oil, polluting and household products down the sink or toilet
- To wash the house or clothes, use just enough soap, dishwashing liquid and if possible, use ecological products
For my car, prefer washing your car at a car wash. The water will be recovered, purified and will not pollute the natural environment.
For the household and the garden, prefer using biodegradable cleaning and gardening products and avoid using pesticides or insecticides.
For my medication, think about bringing back unused medication to your pharmacist. When you flush medications down the toilet, they can pollute rivers.